Friday, February 15, 2013

Fixing Old or Thick Polishes

Hi again!

Today I'd like to share with you a quick fix for polishes that have thickened over time. I had purchased the Sally Hansen Dries Instantly quick-drying topcoat at the end of December 2012, and now, in February 2013, it's become a thick, sticky mess. It had gotten to the point where it wouldn't work as well when helping my nails to dry quickly, so my nails would be dented or smudged easily.


Here is the bottle in it's thick, sticky state. It's hard to see through to the back of the bottle, and it moves slowly when turned side-to-side.


I added a tiny bit of this Rite Aid brand 100% acetone and that helped thin this polish down a lot. It wasn't sticky anymore when I pulled the brush out of the bottle, and it applied much smoother. It also dried my polish as fast as it did when I first purchased it.


Here, after adding some acetone, it's easier to see through to the back (the white lines of writing in the upper left of the polish).


Here's the polish one more time in my hand. I'm not sure how long this fix will last, but I'll be sure to do a follow-up post if the longevity of this polish isn't satisfactory.

** I just want to make a note that when using acetone, and you can also use paint thinner, be sure to only add a few drops at a time. If you add too much, the polish will be ruined. I added my first bit of acetone, shook it up, and wasn't completely satisfied, so I repeated the process one more time.

I hope this helps anyone who may not have known about this trick! 

Thanks for stopping by! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment